Adult Education Enrolment

Enrolment in the Playcentre Education programme

NZ Certificate in Early Childhood Education and Care (level 4)

Eligibility to enrol

  • be at least 17 years old
  • provide evidence that you are a ‘domestic student.’

A ‘domestic student’ is a citizen of New Zealand (including students from the Cook Islands, Tokelau, or Niue) or a permanent resident of New Zealand or a citizen or permanent resident of Australia residing in NZ. The evidence required for a citizen is one of the following: A Birth certificate with place of birth stated as New Zealand, Cook Islands, Tokelau, Niue or Australia or a NZ or Australian Passport. The evidence for a permanent resident is the NZ residency stamp in the Overseas Passport. Special provisions apply to certain overseas military personnel, diplomatic staff and their families or persons associated with Operation Deep Freeze and for refugees. Playcentre Education cannot enrol non-domestic (International) students. This also applies to non residents in NZ on a work or visitor visa.

  • complete a Safety Check

A safety check is required by the Vulnerable Children’s Act (2014) for students in an Early Childhood educational or vocational training programme involving practical experience in a licensed Early Childhood service (Playcentre). It will be carried out confidentially so that it is processed while you attend the Playcentre Introductory Award workshops and completed before you finish the Playcentre Educator Award. This check requires confirmation of your identity. Two forms of ID must be sighted, one primary and one secondary, one of which must be photographic. Verified copies of these identity documents must accompany the forms.

- Primary ID documents are a Passport, full Birth Certificate or Citizenship Certificate.

- Secondary ID documents are a NZ Drivers licence or an 18+ card or a Community Services Card.

- If the documents are in different names you will need a change of name document – a marriage or civil union certificate – this is also helpful if your National Student Number (NSN) is in a previous name.

Practical experience will take place in the Playcentre where you are enrolled with your child/children. You will have completed the Playcentre induction process before enrolment in the adult education programme.

Those with a Playcentre Course 4, 5 or 6 from the Playcentre Diploma in Early Childhood and Adult Education programme or a level 5, 6 or 7 Early Childhood qualification from another Tertiary Provider are not eligible to enter the level 4 programme. If you have a level 4 qualification in Early Childhood or a related field (eg. a Nanny certificate) you should seek advice from the Regional Education Co-ordinator on whether you can enter this programme.

All students should read the Student Information Handbook

An enrolment pack will be given to you at your first workshop.

It will contain:

  1. An Application for Enrolment Form
  2. “Safety Checking form for Intending Students” and
  3. A “New Zealand Police vetting service Consent form”.

Additional information on the Forms and enrolment can be found in the document Guide to Enrolment Form

Verifying Documents:

Please bring these to your workshop along with a photocopy. Your facilitator can verify the copies (sight the original and sign the photocopy) to accompany your forms for processing. Alternatively, your Centre administrator, Centre Support Worker or an NZPF Staff member can verify the copies of your documents.

Further Information about Safety Checking and police vetting

An intending student will be police vetted under the mandatory requirements of the Vulnerable Children’s Act (2014) as a student on practicum who is a non core worker working in a group in an Early Childhood centre. NZPF is the agency who makes the application to the NZ Police vetting Service. A designated person at regional level will process the police vet application and the Safety Check. Your information will be treated confidentially as required by the Privacy Act.


There is a schedule of very serious offences which would exclude someone from working with children. You will find these listed in The Vulnerable Children’s Act (2014) which can be read at

The Programme

Beginning in the programme:

New students and those with Course 1

Start with the first module B401 then they will do module B402 to complete the Playcentre Introductory Award (PIA).

Students transferring from the previous Playcentre programme, the Diploma in Early Childhood and Adult Education, will receive credit on entry into the new programme.

Those with a Course 2 Certificate will begin with module B402 with full credit for module B401, some credit in B402 (credit for workshop 1 Exploring cultural identity and workshop 2 Session Requirements for Playcentre and will not be required to do the report assessment) so have a shortened path to the PIA. They will also be credited 1 workshop (Te Reo Basic Pronunciation) in B404 of the Playcentre Educator Award.

Those with a Course 3 Certificate will begin with module B404 with full credit for modules B401, B402 and B403. They will also receive credit for 1 workshop (Te Reo Basic Pronunciation) in B404 so have a shortened pathway to the Playcentre Educator Award (PEA). Once they start the C-series modules they will receive further credit (C406 full credit, and partial credit in C407 and 408)

Those with a Playcentre Course 4, 5 or 6 or a level 6 or 7 Early Childhood qualification awarded by another Tertiary Provider are not eligible to enter the level 4 programme. If you have a level 4 qualification in EC or a related field you should seek advice from the Regional Education Coordinator on whether you can enter this programme.

There is a process for Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) for previous relevant learning achieved in non Playcentre qualifications. Obtain an RPL Application form from the Regional Education Coordinator or Education Administrator