There are two Playcentre Shops throughout Aotearoa, one in Canterbury and one in Taranaki.
The Canterbury Playcentre Shop was opened in Christchurch in 1949 to supply local Playcentres with equipment and resources. Today, that tradition continues but the Shop is now open to the public and supplies customers from all around New Zealand (and the world) through its online shop.
The Shop is situated on site at the Upper South Island Hub Offices at 17 Buchan Street, Sydenham, Christchurch and stocks a wide range of items from each of the different areas of play. Larger items such as furniture and Multiple Unit Block sets are made to order by local suppliers. Credit accounts are available for Playcentres, ELC’s and Schools.
Since the Shop opened to the public in 2002 the customer base has slowly changed so that now the majority of sales are to the general public. Because the product range reflects this change, Playcentres and other ELC’s are encouraged to contact the shop staff for advice on which products are best for use in Centres if they are unsure. Shop staff can also provide advice regarding equipment lists and create estimates where needed.