We at Playcentre Aotearoa express our deepest condolences to the families, friends and communities who have been affected by the events in Christchurch on Friday.
It is difficult to know what to say to children about traumatic events.
The Ministry of Education have provided the following resources to assist children and young people dealing with a tragedy of this scale:
– Tips for parents and educators: Supporting children and young people
– Resources to help with mental distress after Christchurch incident
– How to talk to your kids about: Trauma – The Parenting Place
– Helping kids deal with trauma – Ministry of Health website
– Talking to children about terrorism and trauma – Children’s Commissioner NZ Facebook page
– Phone Counselling Service for those affected by Christchurch Tragedy – Ministry of Health website
We are a village, all are welcome.